The statue of Saint Romançon unveiled to Benilde
An 8 foot statue of Saint Benilde Romançon, patron saint of De La Salle-College of Saint Benilde, was recently unveiled and blessed during the commemoration of the anniversary of the canonization of the Christian Brother.
The sculpture, which rests on a base of 4.5 feet, is a memory of the life, principles and extraordinary works of the French educator.
The project was launched by the Presidency of the institution through the Center for Campus Art (CCA) and its director, architect Gerry Torres.
The newly erected effigy of Saint Benilde Romançon, currently installed in the lobby of the college’s newest 10-story campus, the Atrium at Benilde, serves as a reminder and motivation for the community to continue “doing ordinary things, extraordinarily. well ”, especially in the midst of these attempts times.
The program was led by Benilde and the President of La Salle Green Hills, Br. Edmundo “Dodo” Fernandez FSC with fr. Emmanuel Gerardo Sia FSC. The floral offering was led by the member of the board of directors of Benilde, fr. Michael Valenzuela FSC and the former vice-chancellor of Benilde for academics Geronio Ulayao.
Born in the village of Thuret, in south-central France in 1805, Pierre Romançon, seemingly frail, dedicated his life as a teacher and school principal in the isolated village of Saugues, where he taught farm boys, gave adult evening classes and gave fewer private lessons. gifted students.
He taught catechism, prepared boys for First Communion, visited and prayed with the sick and inspired the religious vocations of more than 200 brother priests.
Created by contemporary Filipino artist and sculptor John Paul Duray, the Saint Benilde Romançon statue is made of fiberglass resin and finished with automotive enamel paint. He was inspired by the existing statue of the patron saint located in the heart of the Taft campus.